Saturday, July 28, 2012

What I'm Reading & What I Plan To Read




I am currently reading 'I Am The Messenger' by Markus Zusak. I came across Zusak's most popular novel, 'The Book Thief' in hardcover at my local thriftstore for 50 cents without having heard of it or the author before (which is strange because I have a thousand titles and authors floating around in my head and am really good at remembering things like that) and it sat on my shelf for a few months before I finally just picked it up and started reading. That was last year, I think, so I can't remember if I read it all at once or how it affected me. All I can remember is that it was one of the best books I've ever read. I will truthfully say that I recommend The Book Thief more than any other book. If you are reading this and haven't read The Book Thief yet, I suggest you go out and find a copy. You won't regret it. As for 'I Am The Messenger', I am not thrilled by it. It doesn't come close to 'The Book Thief' but then again, he wrote it before he wrote 'The Book Thief' so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm not saying it's bad. It's not. It's quite good. It has an odd but interesting plot and endearing characters. But I definently recommend 'The Book Thief' more, and if you are like me and can't wait to read something else by him after reading it, maybe you should dwell on it, take some time off, and come back to it at a later date, or find something else entirely.


Since I am currently in the middle of a book but feel like writing anyways, I'll just tell you what I plan on reading in the near future. I have a huge to-read list but I'm trying to cut it short so I am not overwhelmed. I also don't really know what I will read next yet, but here they all are.


The books I need to read before the movie adaptations come out:
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Books I need to re-read before the movie adaptations come out:
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The one and only book that I have on hold at the library:
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Books I need to read and review for the authors:
Slow Boat to Purgatory by Vernon Baker
Fated by Benedict Jacka

Books that I just bought at the thriftstore and really want to read:
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


I tend to read whatever I want at the moment though so who knows if I'll even get through this list or start a new one. I will TRY to hold myself to this particular list though. I actually have a few more ARC's that I am behind on, but I don't want to burn myself out so I am keeping the list short. I feel guilty about it, but I just can't help it. I had too many things happen in the past 6 months and I just didn't have the time or willpower to read and review them all. Anyways, I hope to read all of these before the year is over. 





No comments:

Post a Comment