Thursday, September 29, 2011

Book 1: Inside the Outside

GoodReads synopsis: By the time Timber Marlow is fifteen years old, she has already killed three men. Despite the bloody and violent nature of their deaths, Timber is hardly a murderer, at least not in the traditional sense. She has lived her entire life as a cannibal within a cult tucked away in the San Bernardino Mountains called the Divinity of Feminine Reproach. The Divinity keeps itself isolated from the Outside, which is the mainstream society beyond its invisible borders. When the opportunity presents itself, Timber escapes into the Outside, bearing witness to some dark and unsettling truths about the world around her and the integral role she plays in it. But no matter how long she stays away, Timber finds out the past isn't as far away as she thinks it is. In this debut novel, laced with scenes of horrific violence and uplifting humanity, Martin Lastrapes has written a one-of-a-kind story about love, friendship, sacrifice and cannibalism.

                                                                               ******

My GoodReads review:  They say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but when the amazing cover art actually reflects the story within, it is definently worth breaking the rules. As a lover of all things art, this cover (not to mention the synopsis of the novel) definently had me sold before I even knew I was a First-Reads winner.

I was drawn into Martin Lastrapes praiseworthy debut novel, Inside the Outside from the very beginning. The endearing characters enthralled me throughout; especially Timber, whos trials and tribulations within the 'Divinity' captivated me and kept me reading into the early morning hours. It is well written and thoroughly enjoyable. I definently recommend it to anyone who enjoys a bit of suspense and horror.   

                          
                                                                               ******
That was my very first attempt at writing a review online, so don't be too harsh on how short and forced it was. I won a free copy of this book through Goodreads 'First-Reads' within the first week of joining. I just want to point out that I NEVER EVER EVER win anything, so winning a book was a big deal for me, and I wouldn't have wanted it to be any other book. Perhaps I am biased on my love of this book for that reason, as well as the that the author not only signed the copy, but wrote a little inscription addressed to me personally within it. Despite the fact that this is my first free book, I truthfully couldn't put it down until I was literally sick from staying up all night reading it. Martin Lastrapes writing style is absolutely wonderful compared to alot of modern novels I have read lately. I LOVED this book and I hope to see more from the author soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment